Friday, March 10, 2023

Stone Serpent above the Old Cornfields (CT)

 Along the Old Indian Road


    The sun hit the "stone wall" just right, as Roberta and I were walking back to the van after we walked around the cornfield on the Minortown Road. The impression, from this far away is that of a Great Guardian Snake, as big around as a tree, basking in the sun below a hilltop, the other side of the road. It's a very old road, the one that led from the place where the Sachem Pomperaug's Village once stood to the place where the Sachem Nonnewaug's Wigwams was located when Captain John Minor and a group of settler colonists left Stratford CT arrived in 1673. It's also known as the CT Path - one of them anyway. Started as a game trail for mastodons and other megafauna, the sign downtown says.


      My wife had also timed the walk so that we'd see my granddaughters school bus pass by - look closely and I think I could see her waving back: 
There's a stone retaining wall in view there too. There's a lack of stone walls here - until you get out of the old plow zone and moss covered rows of stones snake off into the tangle of unmanaged "wilderness" along the River.  One of these days, I tell myself, I just might take a closer look...

And no, I haven't taken a closer look just yet, even if I've driven by here about a million times, asleep at the wheel, so to speak, snoozing again on Turtle Island. 
An overlay of the Snake from a distance, eyes, deer horns, and "Jewel" added to the image:


Google Earth magic shows the Stone Snake fairly well:


(The zigzags are made from old telephone poles!)


LiDar:


Around 4:20 pm on 4/20/2023:



No comments:

Post a Comment