Thursday, March 09, 2023

Killingworth Facial Recognition Test

 Apparently, Ezra Stiles didn't collect this (probable) God Stone





An interesting row of stacked stones I once walked along in May 2016.
I just happened to look back at the photos - and then looked back at them again,
and now I'm doing it again, looking for faces in the stones.
At the time this one caught my eye, as they say,
but I wasn't sure quite why.
It seemed to be placed a bit differently than a Yankee Farmer might do,
Hardly "two over one and one over two:"

This stone:

Now, I'll tell you,
I think it's plain as the face on my nose,
It's quite similar in some ways to this one:

Just as in the
Pictograph from James Mooney, Indigenous ceramic decorations, and a stone or two,
I'm going to say that the Anthropomorphic Stone is singing:
The one at Nonnewaug was made using English steel tools,
Acquired in trade perhaps,
While the Killingworth "Godstone" or Effigy
May have been pecked into the stone long before 1700 or 1620,
Weathered so much it's almost impossible to tell...

I recall that this dark colored stone caught my eye that day.
I remember thinking it might be two stones from a distance,
Looking down the row of stones:
Imagine my surprise!
Seemed like two of us were laughing:

Note the nice flat stone behind it.
A little grinding slick or something else?
Maybe nothing at all,
After all, they're "just tossed stones" from field clearing...

This may or may not be a Turtle by intention:
This may or may not be meant to be a Deer head Effigy,
here in the distance:
No, not this stone:
This stone:

This may or may not be a snake the size of the Great Serpent:




It's an interesting place, I tell you...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34580529@N04/albums/72157668219809815


Mr. Quinn the Skeptic asks:
If pareidolia is the act of seeing significant patterns where they don't exist, is there a term for failing to see significant patterns where they do exist?
Mr. Denver, also a skeptic by profession apparently, replies:
Seriously, the IQ tests I've seen have an awful lot of pattern-finding exercises. So by that measure, the less you can find them, the lower IQ you have...

No comments:

Post a Comment