Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"Short Stretches" for PW

Here's the short stretches (best viewed in a new tab or window):

A less vivid setting on the camera shows them best - and this may be a bird effigy:
Or is it?:





In the above I'm looking North, below looking south at the same stone "heap," for lack of a better word for such a beautiful and probably very meaningful construction:


There's more stone mounds but since the older photos I'd taken on the April visit aren't as obscured by vegetation, I am going to wait to go back to capture the rest of them.
 I was there in the first place to see if the ridgetop was surrounded or encircled in stones, prompted to do so after seeing these photos of a stone encircled ridgetop, taken by my friend Alyssa Alexandria, up in Northern California:
(Above and below photos: www.AncientPathsofShastina.com )



These, above and below, are views of the ridgetop I walked up to on 9/24/12.
I'd been there once before, April 4, 2012.

The view that reminded me of this "high place" in CA is shown in the photos below:

\
(Above is looking North in April, below is looking South in September at the eastern cliff edge of the ridge.)
On that second visit, I walked a little bit up hill from the stream stone rows and first found what I now think of as "Medicine Bowlders," much like "Medicine Baskets" of the Yurok, Miwok and other People's in Northern California, where it's been alluded that the Algonquin Language originated:

In direct sight of the "Bowlder" - recorded in ethnologies from N. CA as the "proper" place to burn a "tobacco offering" - was this interesting concentration of stones:


There was a suggestion of the boulder etc being surrounded by an at least partial circle of stones:
 Walking uphill from there, past a spring just below an oak that must be about 2-300 years old, I have to mention that the face-like features of several small boulders attracted my attention:

These next three photos are of the same boulder:
I then spotted some stone piles, in line with others in "short stretches that I followed to the east...

...turns out they run north and south as well. Another visit will reveal more about that.
And there's more photos in the files to fill up some more posts to continue this story... 

1 comment:

  1. I get a sense of lonely emptiness from these CT woodland scenes.

    ReplyDelete