Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Nuclear Lake (NY)

 Suddenly a Serpent

  I saw some recent photos from Nuclear Lake 

    and then I went looking for this old blog post:



Below is the original photo that I lifted:



Interesting shadow (where a snake eye might be?):


 "At the north end of the lake," writes Mr. Geologist, "there are a bunch of stone walls in the woods.  Not normal stone walls like I'm familiar with - the straight walls that once lined farmer's fields but now lie in the woods as some hardscrabble farms were abandoned a century ago.  No, these stone walls ran up and down hills in curved paths.  Not marking farmer's fields either since no one could farm anything on the steep, stony hillsides around this part of the lake...


  Who the hell builds a rock wall that zig-zags up the hill?  It's certainly not marking anyone's property line.  Another ran parallel the shoreline.  Why do that?"

(I'll interrupt to say that I suppose these are some choices to consider:)



 

An overlay:

 

The blog is still active:




No comments:

Post a Comment