Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Finding the Big Lost Stones; Part One (CT)

"Relocating an Old Friend"

Pootatuck Territory 

"Centered" on the Boulders 

   Just so you know, I’m blushing as I write this, happily embarrassed to be mistaken about the “Former Big Row of Boulders.” They still sit on that “stone wall” where they have been for who knows just how long.


    (And the sun peeks up over the hill to the east, “Nonnewaug’s Hill,” they call it, “where he had his camp,” they say about the Late Woodland/Contact Era Village. I’ll check that “Sheet” to see what that window is aligned with, like a Newport Tower – I mean “Windmill.” Maybe that Old Dreaded Hammonasset Line, now that I think of it, the sun shining in my eyes, the TV completing the triangulation of the viewing spot on my sofa, centering myself in the universe…)


Turns out, my long time friend was taking a photo of the sun rising over Hammonasset State Beach as I was writing this...


   So, as often happens with me and lost things, I found that segment of stones after I stopped looking for them – and got a bonus or two as well, seeing something else I’d misplaced on my cognitive map of the Nature Center as well as noticing a few new features for the first time.

   I’d given up on those big boulders, imagined them whisked off to an artist’s installation down the road at the Former Frank’s Farm, but thought that I may as well take a closer look at what still remains “Hidden in Plain Sight,” as my friend Dr. Lucianne Lavin puts it in her talks about "Hidden" Ceremonial Stone Landscapes: 

   I parked where I had parked a while back, when I had taken those sun drenched and tree shadow ruined photos. Actually, just like this one below. Those shadows can be quite revealing (like those scientifical petroglyphal guys say), and one may pause to wonder if that’s a Snake’s Eye perhaps intentionally pecked into that boulder so that the sunlight might suddenly “Open the Eye.”

2/2/2023: Where I thought the big boulders were, in the distance...



   So, yeah, I’m at the beginning of a certain trail that gets a lot of traffic because it’s also where the first row of stones appears, a spot where someone might start to both see and observe the Iconography that is a distinguishing characteristic of  Indigenous Stonework – as if for the first time, I’m thinking, since I didn’t think I’d ever really done so myself before, along this particular row of stones:

  Walking along, I’m thinking: Well, it’s full of colorful stones, especially many shades of quartz and pegmatites, some with strikingly beautiful patterns on them, sometimes an unusual shape – just like you read about somewhere or other, plagiarized from the original Mary Gage. I can’t see under the leaves all that well, but overall, so far, it’s a mostly “linear row of stones” nor can I remember that “straight line rule” someone made up about whether an Indian Stone Wall can or can’t be like that...


(I looked at the LiDar and it's a big black shadow left of center, where the row of stones and a brook...



 ...interact in an odd way that I need to look at again...)

Colorful Stones, stones chosen and placed for a resemblance to Indigenous Iconography in other art media, you know, rhomboidal "diamonds" and all:






Hmmm...

A snake??
Hmmm...



   I’m following my own "Rules of Intention" and I'm looking for stones chosen and placed (and chipped or pecked?) as if to suggest eyes and other sorts of facial features…










  And of course I’m looking for combinations of stone that any reasonable person (not just artists and other types of unreasonable people) just might look at and think “That looks like a turtle.”

 




Because the shapes of the stones more closely resembles a low domed shell and pointed snout of a snapping turtle, I suppose it's probably not a box turtle...

   Eventually I found this old friend, so i had actually seen some of this "stone wall" before – a Snake Effigy who like the Big Boulders was temporarily lost to me. I'm reasonably sure that this is a wonderful example of Indigenous Stonework...

At first, looking down hill, I didn't realize that this was a snake head I'd seen before...









I don't remember this (or anything, apparently) very well, so I am sure I may go look here again:

Hmmm...


A snake??
Three at least, maybe more???

I think back to the beginning of the trail where I started out.
"Hmmm..."

No comments:

Post a Comment