Thursday, August 30, 2018

Crying Out for Rocky Woods

Metacomet's  Manitou Hussunash -  or "King Philip's Cave"
Photo – Sera Bray
"Then the solar company came with chainsaws and shovels
And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land

Well, they drilled for their footings till the land was forsaken
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

With apologies to John Prine (Paradise)

   When Cora Pierce writes, and posts photos documenting the Ethnic Cleansing of a Sacred Site in East Freetown MA, stating that "Burrego Solar Farm with a 20 year lease... they flagged all the “ Culturally Significant “ areas, after they clear cut & graded Rocky Woods. The Vernal pools are destroyed and all the culverts they put in were useless. It is Shameful that they destroyed such a significant Ceremonial Landscape for the almighty dollar... yes, the things I loose sleep over..." I know exactly what she means, how she feels, even if I am not of Indigenous descent as Cora is.
    And I'll ask once again, daring to use the term Ethnic Cleansing when I ask, "How is this not Ethnic Cleansing?"
     I was going to say, "I don't mean to be harsh," but actually I do.
     I'll add that the term was first coined in 1991 (about when began exploring probable Indigenous stonework around one of two historically known Pootatuck Villages), but that practice began long ago in Human History and it arrived on the shores of what is now known as Massachusetts in 1620. 
     When it ends is anybody's guess...

"Ethnic cleansing is the systematic forced removal of ethnic or racial groups from a given territory by a more powerful ethnic group, often with the intent of making it ethnically homogeneous.[1][page needed] The forces applied may be various forms of forced migration (deportationpopulation transfer), intimidation, as well as genocide and genocidal rape.
      
Ethnic cleansing is usually accompanied with efforts to remove physical and cultural evidence of the targeted group in the territory through the destruction of homes, social centers, farms, and infrastructure, and by the desecration of monuments, cemeteries, and places of worship." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_cleansing
   
    























6 comments:

  1. I have found remarkable rock formations in the mid coast region of maine. I also have some ideas about them. Does this site accept articles with pictures? I am unfamiliar with blogs so this might be a stretch for me. I don't know which buttons to push - What is Google Accour? I'll just push the publish button and see what happens - David Pillsbury

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have pictures of remarkable rock formations in an area between Gray and Durham Maine. However, I am confused with blogs and how they work. I'll click a few buttons and maybe something will get through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm over my head when it comes to blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the "New Post" button - I'm still patiently waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew hiking all through "Rocky Woods" and was privileged to take my kids and their friends on tours of King Phillips caves an the colonial and the Indigenous settlements. That solar farm is a great tragedy that I will NEVER understand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Devastating, is this blog still active?

    ReplyDelete