Monday, March 27, 2017

Along an Old Paugussett Trail (CT)


I’m just making another observation
Just to see what I can see,
Asking myself the same old question:
Is that Indigenous Artwork?
Is this a Ceremonial Stone Landscape Feature? 
??

I park at an entrance to Cranberry – Swamp? Pond? Garden?



At the first break in the segment on the opposite side of the stone-lined road (probably an Old Paugussett Trail that connected the coastline to the Berkshire Mountains, turned stagecoach route and modern state highway):
Looking back toward that gateway, suddenly the triangular stone stands out:
- and there's a suggestion of a "sideways looking Uktena" sort of thing going on as well:
 Could be: WPA work, on the Estate of ______ who made it a Wildlife Sanctuary. Maybe they just tidied up an older wall (the Old Spring Water Place that was somewhere around here?),  maybe modified the older field-stones, leveled it off, placed those quarried capstones on it...
But then, why a turtle, here and there?


And take into consideration that I've already been to other segments of these roadside constructions, found some other examples of this type of Testudinate Effigy Inclusion. The one below is up at the peak of the little hill I was climbing that day: 

So, looking for rhomboidal "Healing Diamonds" as well, I'm looking for more obvious turtles - and waiting for some snake imagery to suddenly become obvious - when this catches my attention:
A wider view:
I can imagine a snake or two:
This one has some jaws: 

Farther along, that quartz inclusion looks rhomboidal from this perspective as it catches my attention - as does that circle of quartz toward the interior as well: 
But a different perspective of the same inclusion creates the impression of roundness:
And as far as "Serpent Stacking" goes, I just can't make up my mind about where one ends and the other begins. It's like I can almost see how the stones were laid down, how other stones were added as this segment of stone feature was maintained over time:




The conclusion is that I don't really know and that, of course, further study is needed...
...perhaps with a Turtle Island perspective in mind, rather than the usual assumptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment