Wednesday, September 26, 2007

red stones

I showed you these two stones...




Then this stone, held like this, but didn't mention the diagonal line of lighter color...


The other stone has a polished and interesting edge to it...























I imagine these two tools "stored" on a stone row, another handaxe, like a turtle's other leg, beneath a high domed larger stone that resembles a turtle's carapace...
...In my imagination, people around here at one time remembered who had made and used those red stone tools, told stories about that person, told the stories that person used to tell, and knew who was related to that person...
...in my imagination, someone says to the other one there, "Meet you by grandfather's sleepy red legged turtle."
...in my imagination, I try out stone after stone I've seen that would be fit the picture as a carapace stone, the turtle's shell, as I get there, surprised and not surprised that it's a big green (or is it red?) stone...




1 comment:

  1. For some reason that picture of the edge on the smaller stone stayed with me overnight. There is at least one way to get use wear like that manually - a repetitive smooth grinding against some other similar-hardness stone over a long period. Like to make a powder. What's that spell? Paint making?

    ReplyDelete