Friday, May 17, 2024

Serpent Capstones in the Rain (Nonnewaug)

 I’m actually posting these photos in the reverse order in which they were taken. I returned from yet another Physical Therapy appointment on yet another drizzly yesterday, drove up the driveway, pulled up to the front steps, and sighed. There’s so much to be done, and I’m so far behind, I couldn't help but think. I should be embarrassed to show you these photos, of these capstones I’m trying to keep from tumbling down, but you know there’s always just the right day to see something you missed in the last 42 years or so…

This one I thought I knew so well, even to some possible feathers behind the eye:


If one looks closely, one might see a Snake head rather than a rectangular block, dressed with steel tools acquired sometime or other by someone associated with the Nonnewaug band of the Pootatuck, of the Paugussett, sometime around 1700, or perhaps as early as 1673.



But yesterday the stone seemed to transform before my eyes. It suddenly became another snake eye, another snake looking north, dressed with those steel European masonry tools:



A remnant of a smaller snake below the capstone snake(s):










"Just like Sacsayhuamán," joked Dr. Johnnie Rock Lobster... 




No comments:

Post a Comment