Sunday, November 26, 2023

Call it vandalism, because, “It’s just a Rock”

   I love to get lost in a bunch of photos from places I’ve never been.

  My knees may be screaming while I’m sitting watching the sunrise out my windows, but I’m virtually walking somewhere I’ve never been sometimes by looking at other peoples’ photos.

This morning, I started here:

 


And wandered over to here:

     I even went back in time to look at this beautiful snow-covered Qusukqaniyutôk:


Or "Snake Effigy"


       But then I quickly came across a much photographed split boulder:


  Now keep in mind that many a Split Boulder is sometimes known as:

  A pettutéaonk, a "portal," or a “place of passage between layers of the world”

-          In the Lënape language:  pindaxsenakan (tobacco pouch, petu+hassen+ikun, “device for entering stone;” 

                            And then, importantly, petouwassinug, in Narragansett; (Trumbull 1903:124).”

-          https://www.academia.edu/44991023/Eli_Luweyok_Kikayunkahke_So_Said_the_Departed_Elders_Northeastern_Algonquian_Land_Use_Traditions

-           

Call it vandalism, because, “It’s just a Rock”

  Call it something harsher if it is not…




Split-filled Boulders: "A total of 386 sites contained split-filled boulders. A possible Algonquian term for this type is pindaxsenakan - literally, "a living being enters into something," on the idea that these were considered spirit portals to the underworld," Dr. Curtiss Hoffman writes in “Stone Prayers” (2018).

https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Products/9781634990493

https://www.facebook.com/narragansettrocks


No comments:

Post a Comment