Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Buddy’s Walk Part One (Westbrook CT)


   Just as the sky was turning red in the east, I took a little walk to see if I could get some decent images of some stonework I’d passed by in the car the day before, a spot where someone had done some tree and brush removal. It was a National Holiday, so the traffic was relatively quiet on the Old Clinton Road and on the nearby Interstate. Relatively quiet that is, except for some German Shepherds behind a fence, at a house across the street where the cleared section began, barking questions at me that I took to mean “Who are you?” and “What are you doing??”

   “Who are the good dogs?” I said, just loud enough for the two dogs to hear. They paused to think about that for a moment and I saw tails wagging behind the fence as they resumed barking with just a little less anger in their enthusiasm. I took a quick photo or two and kept walking, eager to get past these early morning dogs…



   But the slightly serpentine row of interestingly stacked stones kept demanding my attention. I slowed down and stepped off the pavement to get a little closer…


  “That’s private property Buddy!” I hear a voice shout. “I’m calling the cops and they’ll handcuff you!”

    I considered responding that “I’m just walking here,” but thought better of it.

   Same with “I’m not Buddy.”  

  So I continued walking and looking silently, just a bit more anxious and a lot more distracted (or was it "A lot more anxious and bit more distracted?") – the total opposite of how I usually feel when walking along these alleged “Yankee Stone Walls” that were never intended to be stone fences…

   I felt a little safer as I passed a newly exposed "decorated" outcrop - to take two images to stitch together and to look at later, hoping to catch the feel of that: 


Closer:
(Below is actually on the return trip,
 that big quartz cobble or small boulder
 illuminated  by the rising sun.)

And I'll continue later, since the World is calling me away from telling you the rest of the story...

No comments:

Post a Comment