Friday, April 14, 2023

Turned Around by the Park (Middlebury CT)

   I had just passed by the park entrance, when a big "stone wall" caught my attention, down below the old turnpike. Quite massive and not far from a parking spot, making it an easy walk on a bright and warm spring day. 

  So I turned around to take a little look around...

  It's obviously an old house site, from the time before the dam was built for flood control after the Great Flood of 1955 - and that's all I really know about it. Except that the blue periwinkle has persisted, growing over the old foundation and retaining walls - and an old car appears to be buried in a certain spot, marked by a piece of chrome that hasn't tarnished very much at all that glistened in the sunlight...




"No obvious Indigenous Iconography," I was thinking.
Nothing jumped out at me...

"Maybe," I thought...
Fancy old garden fence someone was compelled to add on top:

And there's an opening into the wetlands
 that made me ponder if this were a barn foundation...


But as I step through it and look back, I start to doubt that,
and notice the big boulder at the end of the Big "stone Wall:"





The wetland side of that other row of stones gave me a little pause:
I don't know what to think of that:
But turning around to see where this "door" takes a person,
I happen to notice a boulder, split and filled with stones:
So I duck under big thick rose branches with gigantic thorns,
circle around to see the boulder at the beginning (not the end)
of the row of stones emerging from the
split in the boulder:

A Horned Serpent Overlay


Split-filled Boulders: "A total of 386 sites contained split-filled boulders. A possible Algonquian term for this type is pindaxsenakan - literally, "a living being enters into something," on the idea that these were considered spirit portals to the underworld," Dr. Curtiss Hoffman writes in “Stone Prayers” (2018).

https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Products/9781634990493


And I find Nohham writes that a “Skuguisu káhtqwk refers to a "boulder-based cairn" which is possibly an emerging serpent form…”



I did take a photo of the other side:


But like finding one wild strawberry,
suddenly some more stacked stones
seemed to be hiding under all those invasive roses
and barberries in that wetland:





Stepping back into the house site, looking to the wetland:


Old metal junk:



Old metal tools:
Old metal tool marks:


No comments:

Post a Comment