Thursday, November 11, 2021

Cellar Steps (Nonnewaug)


For the past 40 years, I've been going up and down these cellar steps shown above.
Not for the entire time, you understand, just every once in a while,
for various reasons, such as carrying out an old coal and wood furnace converted to burn home heating oil, trying to fit a new furnace through the smallish opening, guide several water heaters down safely, and other regular sort of house owner activities, storm windows and all...
This feather and plug mark, just off center in the photo, is like an old friend, and as I was putting some tools and paint and stuff away, I decided to take a photo of this old friend:
I realized that here again is a common occurrence in the stonework at the house, especially if effigies of snakes and turtles are an indicator of Indigenous Stonework:

I'll "make it come alive" by overlaying some images and eyes,
trying to hit you over the head with the idea that these are effigies,
not just a failure by the Indigenous people living at Nonnewaug to be able to square the edges of stones with the steel tools they had acquired by 1700, but to create artwork, snakes and turtles and more:
(As I pasted in the box turtle, I realized the feather and plug mark is also the nuchal notch in the marginal scutes that is also a "snake step.")



I'll probably gather up photos that show how often this pattern repeats in another post...
A few working images for now:














No comments:

Post a Comment