Monday, April 20, 2009

Sloane Inspired 1556 Drawing


Well, it's a start anyway; there's just so much more to the Big Picture.
Sloane's focus in his drawings was Flash Floods. The Native scheme I think I see includes that trapping of rainfall also. I've witnessed a 100 year flood where the zigzag rows centered the water's energy and minimized flooding, and actually revealed many rows that had been hidden. The tree cover along bordered streams kept the water cool and healthy. And looking back through my notes and sketchpads, I find I've made many a drawing of some details, so I'll just add them on to this...













1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying reading this topic. Thanks so much for posting your notes. Here in NY I see, over and over again, stone rows parallel to small streams, stone walls that run straight uphill and do not form any enclosure, and stone rows around very top of mountains. I ask myself "why?" over and over, and I can't satisfy the answer with only the typical "colonial people had to clear the land" or "mark their property line". One of the only 4 sided square enclosures here that I can think of off hand has 2 east-west rows with odd rocks (some quartz and some other geology - I think maybe red sandstone) spaced evenly throughout the wall, like a "decoration" - definitely ornamental looking. Yet the north-south rows that bind the east-west rows to make a 4 sided enclosure have no quartz or sandstone. Why? Those 2 ornamental stone walls remind me so much of your large pile with all the different rocks in it.

    ReplyDelete