Tuesday, January 29, 2008

By the Chimney

That's the chimney alright; I said I'd meet you here...
The eastern end of the swamp was dammed at some point and made this a pond by the road, uphill to the south of the chimney...
...and this is the notch of this arrow head shaped pond (or swamp).

I mean this is a pretty poor picture of the outcrop that juts into the pond. A picture taken with morning light would be better, so you could see the big stone that slopes down into the water, the place I first saw a Great Blue Heron take flight.

And I just now remember that where I'm standing was the first place I saw a large snapping turtle emerge from under the mud on the low side of the dam...


There's a little sort of cave that's part of that out crop and also many boulders that look various parts of turtles.





But walk up there that day didn't start there. My walk looked more like this, moving in a clockwise circle:

And the most interesting part was the part circled in red above....

I thought that following the really tall stone row would be interesting. The area was divided up into sections by all sorts of stone rows that sometimes traveled across outcrops. It met up with a zigzag row that outlined the swamp below...

Springs appeared to be stoneworked long ago, but now kinda falling apart, but sometimes I thought I saw a turtle or two...


I turned around when it looked like machines became involved in the present day picture. The lower edge of a field shows a srping and signs of the ancient stone work buried, mostly...


But heading back the combination of snow and stones visible made a couple good illustrations of changes over time. Somebody dumped a bike just over the zigzag but on the field side you see mounds of stones cleared from the field...Some turtles on a row...



And just above the row, three very large stones that greatly resemble a snapping turtle emerging from the ground, it's head and forelegs (8 feet long perhaps), down on the edge of that stone-bordered swamp...





No comments:

Post a Comment