Friday, June 09, 2006



















I was telling you about “Waking Up on Turtle Island” wasn’t I?
Before I got distracted, I mean.

Here’s a scan of my notebook, a sketchbook really, with a date of “Summer 1997” on the page before it:











I find I wrote:
“Halfway into the seventh year of following intuition that I was seeing Native American Stonework radiating out from a serpentine stone row around what may be the … Burial Grounds, I came across the Turtle in this photograph.” The photo is gone but here’s a scan and a later digital photo:















Under the photo I wrote, “The Key” turned by “Turtle One”
and:
“This brought many of the stone fences I’d been thinking of as N.A. Stonework into focus. You might say they were composed of turtles of varying sizes & artistic abilities, sometimes strikingly beautiful as well as plain “ordinary” stones – each is unique as the individual who constructed it.“Since then I’ve lost count of just how many others I have come across. Now I know there’s no way to date when a stone was placed on or near another one, or by whom, or exactly why, but the widespread distribution of similar constructions of an animal revered by Native Americans in a place they referred to as Turtle Island… well draw your own conclusions.”


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your informative and well-written blog. I promise, if I use any of your info anywhere, I'll give you credit!

    This is great and relevant information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I've looked at your stuff too - great as well!!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete