Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another Park Road










With just under a half hour in which to walk ( required by the "Walk or Die Exercise Program" I've created), I parked over by the entrance to Leatherman Cave, another old favorite of a place of mine. Look up the Leatherman at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leatherman_(vagabond) or Google it (on the web or in images) and it will tell you a little bit about him, as well as showing many pictures of "Crane's Look Out," a but not the LM's Cave. There's a little bit about the area atthis blog: http://wakinguponturtleisland.blogspot.com/search?q=leatherman, where I mention it's older name "The Old Hunting Caves." My intention was to photograph some rock piles and a stone worked spring below them, about 200 feet from the True Leatherman's Cave, but it was muddy and I wouldn't have enough time.


So I just walked up the road, which just happens to be called "Park Road."


It's near a State Park but I think the name predates the Park created in 1926: http://ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325176.
"Leadmine" in Thomaston is the graphite place. Black Rock used to be covered in Black Lichens and that's where the name really came from.

I found my only quartz arrowhead on a trail here, and witnessed a nice guy named John dig up some Woodland Pottery Shards outof a fire pit right in front of the LM Cave, back tracking to the spot he "had a feeling about."




I didn't think about it until I was leaving and looked at the street sign, wondering if again here's another example of a Deer Park adopted by colonists using an ancient Indian land use scheme.









None of these photos are that great ( You can barely make out the zigzag row at the top center of the photo) but there below the road were stone rows and springs and rock piles I never noticed before...











No comments:

Post a Comment