Monday, May 14, 2007

Zigzag Lines











If I told you I know how old Womoqui felt,
You probably wouldn’t understand
Not many people remember the man
The Elder Sachem,
The Old Bear
Who leapt from the Falls
Rather than leave his lands
So the story goes
In that old history,
The Ancient History
Of Woodbury.

It’s cut and fill
On the old Indian Trail
That led to this old house;
They’ll be cutting on my side
And filling over the old Indian firebreak,
That Zigzag row, the sacred row –
This morning I just happened to look
At a book of pictographs
Where it says those zigzag lines
Over Crazy Horse’s head mean that
He was a man of Great Mystery
Touched by the Great Spirit
A man of Great Medicine…

1 comment:

  1. I think maybe you are the poet of rock piles. Keep 'em coming.
    - Peter

    ReplyDelete