Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Roadside Zigzag





Down by the roadside at the end of my driveway, new stonework meets old zigzag stone work.










This part is sort of disturbed, I think, but farther along, is a point stone of the ancient zigzag...


Please note that these smaller stones weren't just sitting there on top of these two large stones; they had fallen and migrated into the driveway. I didn't know where else to put them; at least I didn't toss them across the road, which may be what other people who lived here did in the last 300 years...

Notice how nicely these stones seem fitted together...



Just lately, thinking about the remnants of rows in my yard, I took a closer look down here, even cleared some brush and debris...


I somehow get the impression that the biggest stone might be a turtle face.
I see the suggestion of eyes and a beak as I look at it.




(Click this one!)


But having just noticed the newest turtle in the chickenyard, and looking for that "low-back" shape, like a mud turtle or painted turtle, a different stone (circled in red and then black in the close-up) caught my attention. It's to the right of the biggest stone...


I thought that the stone below it might be the head of a turtle, but brushing away the dirt under the carapace stone (with an actual brush), I now think I'm seeing the plastron stone that's migrated down hill and under the carapace that's also migrated down over the years...


I added some eyes and nostrils to the photo with my paint program...

No comments:

Post a Comment