Thursday, July 13, 2006

On the Borderline

The other day my friend asked me, "What is the back border of your property?" He pointed toward the north of our yard where 25 year old trees stand, screening us from the eyes of our neighbors.
"Well, most people would call it a 'stone wall,'" I said, and we headed toward the wall to walk it.

The Happiness Farm Compound, as we call it, has dwindled down to a little over three acres - that's another story for another time.

Anyway, you'd think I'd know this boundary better than I really do, but I'd bet it had been ten years since I walked along that stone row.

Besides finding some of the wall "missing," I sort of noticed some testudinate shapes here and there.
And:
Since some of the wall or fence or row or the border is missing, I should photograph it all. Goes with the archeology of the house, part of the "Changes in the Land," the Big Picture...



Large end-boulder at junction of two rows. There's a state highway above this row....







And you might wonder about this until you see it from different angles:







A turtle petroform, perhaps, jostled around, the right foot fallen, the carapace ajar, but the head stone still resting on the plastron stone.


I brushed away the trash, removed the root layer, exposed the tops of some buried stones, and will wait to see what happens next...




No comments:

Post a Comment