Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Echo Lake


Originally known as Ice House Pond on Ice House Road,

I often drive by this little pond called Echo Lake.

I don't know why it's called that.

I've stood silently on its shore for hours and never heard an echo...

There is a rather large boulder there, perhaps twice my height, marked by modern graffiti.


But it's a very testudinate (turtle shell-like) stone if you ask me...










There's a big hump of an outcrop beside it...
"In the past," ice was harvested here.
Before the past, this spot had an Indian place name that described it somehow or other.
Or several names over time, maybe...

On the opposite side of the road




-called "Ice House Road," - although I do know why-




are some more little humps of bedrock with some other much smaller boulders, including this five or six foot long (testudinate?) boulder that might sort of resemble a turtle
- or a tortoise - or, specifically, a Snapping Turtle, perhaps...


I often see as I drive by...







No comments:

Post a Comment