Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Sun & Shadows (Nonnewaug CT)

 


   Yes, those are regular and evenly spaced segments of stone, on the first terrace side of the road, over by those floodplain cornfields. Five of my steps will move me ten feet forward and I’ve “paced off” so many of them over the last thirty years that I know that my old Boy Scout measurement method would reveal about the same here.

  Yes I know that you’ve possibly read and seen the graphic by Mary and James Gage:


  Yes, I know indeed that, “the rocks made it hard to plow the fields and early colonists piled them up along the borders of their fields. Later the farmers used them to build stone walls and to mark the property boundaries. The area was finally abandoned as the young United States expanded west and better farmland was discovered.”


   Yes, I know that but I also know that this stone might tell a different story – in sun and shadows.



The shadow of a zigzag row of stones topped with chestnut rails in the 1934 sun:


The sun and shadows on a Serpent Guardian making it come alive:


No comments:

Post a Comment