Sunday, January 21, 2018

Big Manitou

   I drove by it again just yesterday, just as I sometimes do on the way to somewhere else.
       Sometimes I catch a good view of it, but I'm almost always driving
     and it's just where several lanes open up to traffic after construction constricts and slows it
           and there's almost always an angry group of humans around me,
                  almost all of them driving erratically either too slow in cautious terror
or accelerating from 55 to 80 in a burst of honking horns and finger gestures...

  But yes I did get a glimpse of the Big Manitou Stone, which might have another Historic Name, if this is actually the spot I once read about and wrote about here:

But that may not be the same place at all - it's three big distinct stones - if you count the big outcrop as a stone. I don't have a photo and can't tickle up a good "tree free street-view," but the Big Manitou resembles this stone:
    I looked to see if I had a winter view that would shown the seemingly folded arms dusted in snow to emphasize the sort of head and shoulders (with seemingly folded arms) variation of a Manitou Stone, but this was the best I could do:
One of these days, I'll get in there I keep telling myself...
The stone doesn't face toward the highway, as the above creation might seem to imply; the face of the big Manitou Stone faces towards the East, would look like the smaller and similar one does when approached from the East...
I wonder what it looks like as the morning sun rises...
I wonder how many have traveled by this Big Manitou Stone, seeing it but not really seeing it...
A little later: I check another map source - maybe that arrow is in the wrong spot...

No comments:

Post a Comment